1st GRADE IS COMPLETE!!
Today we finished up the last of our tests and I am proud to say that Russell passed 1st grade with flying colors! Now all that is left is to organize everything and get it sent in so Rhode Island can decide if he passes or not. Although I am confident that we completed the necessary work, covered the appropriate topics and logged enough hours/days, it is still nerve wracking to think that after all our hard work we could be denied and I could be told that we did something wrong and Russell will not be going on to second grade. Until I have the final OK from the state, I will be nervous. It's just how I am.
While I am excited to be finished with the school year, it seems weird to think that this is the last time I will home school the boys. I understand (and am willing) that in the coming months both R.C. and I will be working and the boys will be off doing their own thing either in public school or daycare. The thing that makes me the most sad is thinking about Russell, who has worked so hard learning these last 2 years, sitting in a classroom with kids who don't care about school, and have horrible attitudes about learning, and teachers who have given up. I hate to think about this, but this is how RI public schools are. I have talked to many mothers at parks who voice their opinion about the school systems here (and who are almost in tears themselves when they tell me about it.) and how they are good for nothing. I have heard the new reports on how bad the schools are (academically and violence related), and heard as my neighbor told us that 50 kids in her daughters 8th grade class will not be promoted. 50 KIDS!! SIGH! More on that later...maybe.
Anyways...
Today, after Russell's final test in which he received an A+, we had popcicles and talked about the previous year. Russell became teary eyes and said how much he loved school. Yes, we had our days (more than I would like to have had...) when it was a struggle, but we had a fantastic year. I'm happy that Russell has a love for learning that he is passing on to Max and that they will both hopefully keep for many years to come.
Today Mom and Dad Sayler and Uncle Shane are coming! We will get to spend time with them until Sunday! Tomorrow R.C., Shane and I are going to Boston for a RedSox game!!

2 comments:
Way to go Russell and Max! You're little geniuses!
Little Einsteins.
Congrats, kiddos!
When will you be in town!?
Post a Comment