Wednesday, May 19, 2010

After lessons yesterday I dropped the boys off with some friends so that I could help R.C. install the giant. They had a great time playing with their friend for a few hours and I am so thankful to have good friends who are able, and willing, to help us out. The show tomorrow is going to be fantastic!

The big news for today/yesterday is that R.C. won a very substantial grant from the school! It's very exciting and something that he will not tell anyone about because he doesn't like to "brag or boast" about himself...but I like to "brag and boast" about him! He, along with a few others, applied for a grant so they can have a show in NYC, and it was accepted! It's estimated that 90% of the students at RISD apply for this grant, so the fact that R.C. was able to win not only 1, but 2 grants, is AMAZING!!

While I'm on the topic of great things that R.C. is doing/has done, let me share a little story/quote...

The thesis paper is something that all students have to write (in any field) in order to get a masters degree. Yes, even in art school there are papers to write. Many people may see art school as a "hobby" but I assure you, it is REAL school. Anyways, R.C. has been working on his thesis since the beginning of the year. He has a committee of people that he gives rough drafts to periodically so they can make suggestions/corrections or to tell him to scrap it and start over. After he turned his paper in for a review a few weeks ago he got an email from a man on his committee that was very encouraging.


"I have to say this is one of the most, if not flat out the most enjoyable theses I have read.  It is smart, personal, clear, witty and also quite provocative." (There were several more long paragraphs, but these were my favorite 2 sentences.)


When R.C. forwarded this email on to me, and I read it, all I could respond with was, "Biggity BAM!!" Sure, I could have (and probably should have tried a little harder to) gathered my thoughts and put my excitement into words that were intelligent sounding, but sometimes, excitement is hard to express in words. In these times I find it best to keep it short and sweet. Who knows what I'll say when I see him finally receive his diploma at graduation. I probably won't speak...I'll be the weirdo jumping up and down crying, with 2 boys beside me dressed in blazers and tights.

Wait...did I just say blazers and tights?

I sure did...I'll explain later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blazers..OK. Tights...?? We're waiting. Congratulations, RC!!!

Jen said...

Wow!

Congrats R.C.

You're amazing, I've always thought so.

More and more people think so now!

xo.