Tomorrow is Earth Day so the boys and I decided to have a pre Earth Day party. We packed a picnic lunch, a blanket, school books and trash bags and went down to the RISD beach to do some clean up. We spent 2 hours combing the beach for various types of trash. If you can think of it...we found it. We filled several trash bags and then took a break to spend some time on our lessons. We did not get the beach spotless, but we did the best we could do. Every little bit helps and every bit of trash that we can keep out of the oceans, the better. I know I for one (and you should be too!!) am sickened by this, and will do all I can to not contribute to it.
As we were picking up trash today, a man approached the boys and I. He was thrilled the we were out there cleaning up the beach and trying to make a difference. He and his dog walked with us a bit and flicked trash out of clumps of seaweed with his dog ball thrower stick thing so we could pick it up and put it in the bag. He didn't dare get his hands dirty. He decided he wanted to do something for the boys since they were doing such a great job, so after talking and walking awhile, and after I told him many times that his words were enough, he tucked some "ice cream" money into the boys dirty little hands. He was a kind man, very skeptical about home schooling, but still very kind.
He seems to be one of those
After he left I had to answer many questions that the boys (mainly Russell) had. He was confused as to why that man said that he needed to get into real school, what was not real about our school, how our school was different from other schools, and who the 3 Stooges were. This guy really upset Russell with his views that home schooling is not real school, but at the same time Russell was thrilled with all the trash we collected and the ice cream money he now has burning a hole in his pocket.
Tomorrow we tackle the trash in our neighborhood. The boys and I make up a pretty strong trash picking up army of 3, so all the hoodlums in the neighborhood better watch out. And I hope we don't run across the man with no pants...yes, this has been in issue.
Not all trash is trash...some is a treasure!
These are 2 that Max took while Russell was working on lessons...and since there are few of me on this blog, I felt I needed show I am alive and well...even though Max needs to give more warning when taking pictures...sheesh!
Before heading home we played some football (or at least what we like to call football) in the field.
Finally, it just so happened that I captured both boys jumping. I am never surprised when I capture Max mid jump, since he is ALWAYS jumping, but after looking at the pictures when we got home I noticed that today I got Russell too...and what an amazing jump Russell has!
Max just looks kind of goofy since he looks completely normal, except his feet are not on the ground.
6 comments:
Melissa, my friend Stella said she respects your home schooling.
:p
love you.
Your kids are small geniuses. I am jealous of your homeschooling and by that I mean that I wish I could do it. I think you're amazing!
I've said on numerous occasions that Russell and Max know more than most of my Third Graders. You do a great job! :)
Central Oregon has a HUGE homeschooling population. It is well regarded and completely accepted. Keep up the good work!
Biz,
I LOVE that you are homeschooling, an it sounds like the boys are doing great! However, I do feel the 3 stooges is an important part of our culture...please let them watch a little of the stooges!! :)
~Jennie
I didn't know 'junping' photos could be so cool!
Post a Comment