Odds and ends and a bit of catch-up.
As you may have noticed, I never wrote a blog on Russell's Tae Kwon Do board breaking presentation he was supposed to be apart of. Well, the night before it was scheduled for his instructor called to inform us that it was canceled. So last week we at least got some pictures of him in his class with his instructor.
Last Friday as Russell sat at the table doing a math quiz, I heard him say under his breath (in a rather angry voice), "that man from the beach should be here now to see how real my school is." Russell hates math quizzes. He does well with math, but it is not his favorite by any means. He was angry that he had to take a quiz and that Max got to build with the blocks instead of do school work. He is not always thrilled to do his school work...just like other kids in "real" school. We will begin "cooking class" next week. Thursday, as I was making lunch, Russell told me that I make cooking look easy and I don't even have to think about what I'm doing (I'm taking that as a compliment??). He asked if I could begin teaching him how to make a few recipes. He is great at making sandwiches, cereal, and toast, but he is ready to move on and expand his cooking knowledge. The next weeks should be fun...with many interesting meals coming our way!
Thursday as we were out picking up trash around the neighborhood, one of the neighbor boys came outside to show us his new puppy. We enjoyed playing with Checkers for awhile and talking with the neighbor boy. He got quite sad when he asked if we were moving out soon and I told him there was a chance we would be, but we didn't know for sure. He let it slide that he will miss R.C., and that R.C. is "really cool". The neighbor kids are pretty sweet when they are by themselves. Put them all together and they all are trying to out do the other and they just get rambunctious and crazy.
Max LOVES to take his own picture, and spell words with blocks.
Next week is "bring a jar of peanut butter and get a free ticket" night at the PawSox game. Sure, they are not totally free tickets because we will purchase 4 jars of peanut butter, but if we get 4 jars of peanut butter at $2 a piece, that's $8 (plus some tax) for our family to spend time together at a ball game...and help the Rhode Island food pantry at the same time.
Saturday the boys were able to use their "beach clean up money" to get some ice cream. I don't know what they put in that ice cream, but it stained Max's face blue for the entire day. I scrubbed and scrubbed his face, but the blue would not come off...it's better today. (If I can figure out how to get a video on here I will show Max doing a dance when he hears the ice cream man coming down the street. Stay tuned for that one!)
Russell lost another tooth last week. By now it is very unmonumental to lose a tooth. We knew it was loose for days and one night as we sat eating supper it just fell out. We dabbed it to stop the bleeding and we were back to supper within 2 min. like nothing had happened.
Friday night I got a break. R.C. finished his work by early evening and was able to come home to spend the night with the boys while I went out with some friends. Before I left Russell was singing a great song about when mom leaves the party starts. He had a GREAT jingle made up and it was really catchy (so catchy that I even found myself singing it several times before I left.), but by the time I got home I completely forgot how it went and R.C. couldn't remember either. It was aparent that Russell needed a break from me just as much as I needed a break from him. (Don't push the "publish your comment" button with nasty things about that! I love my kids, but I am able to love them more if I don't see them for a few hours once every few weeks. Surely if you are a parent/aunt/uncle/nanny/grandparent/human you can understand that.)
4 comments:
I need a break from my family ALL THE TIME! (Just thought I'd post that before someone knocks you for hating your kids.)
:)
Liss this was a great entry. Your kids are certainly living it up...you are a great family- and you're all cool. It's nice to be appreciated (by the kids on the street...or your family or your friends or by the man on the beach who doesn't necessarily approve of your education methods-but respects you and your kids for cleaning up the earth) . . .
<3
btw,i appreciate you and all your hard work.
Anyone that says they NEVER need a break from their kids/family/etc are not being honest with themselves! Just like vacation time from work to "recharge our batteries"!
Post a Comment