Monday, April 26, 2010

A have had this locket for quite some time now. It's nothing fancy/expensive but it has a beautiful peacock feather on the front that I just love! (Not a very good picture...but you get the point)

A few nights ago Max took this locket that meant very little to me and turned it into something very very special. He usually likes to open it several times if he sees me wearing it. A few nights ago, as we sat on the couch together, he opened the locket, saw that it was still empty and jumped off the couch while yelling, "Stay there, I'll be right back!" He soon came back with a little picture that he drew, and cut out, to fit inside the locket. He would not let me see the picture until he had it in, and it took him a few trips back to the kitchen to trim the sides of his picture a little more so it could fit nicely. Soon he had it just right and I was able to look at the picture. 

It's a very simple picture of two people (he said it is R.C. and I) smiling and holding hands. Each day since then he wants me to wear the locket. The other morning after R.C. left for the studio and I was stumbling around in huge, bright turquoise sweatpants, slippers with the soles falling off (they are my favorite! I will make them last forever!) and a red sweatshirt that should have been retired 5 years ago, Max brought the necklace to me and said I should wear it because it would look good. I laughed and put it on...and to my surprise it did bring the red from the sweatshirt and the turquoise from the pants together quite nicely (HA!). Immediately Max wanted to open the locket and when he did and saw the picture still tucked nicely inside, he smiled from ear to ear and and shook his head as if he were the proudest human being alive.

It's funny how a little scrap of paper that fits oddly into a cheap locket can suddenly make this the most valuable peice of jewlery I own.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I have a cheapo locket like that that I found at the thrift store. (Though I LOOOOVVE your peacock feather) .

What a lovely little story. I imagine you'll keep that little piece of paper in that locket till the day you die.

<3

you have a set of sweethearts to call your boys, Liss.

bp said...

This one certainly deserves a comment, but there isn't a lot more to say. A real joy of life....