When we moved here we downsized all our belongings. We sold or donated a good portion of what we owned. Furniture, clothing, dishes, books, toys, etc.. Nothing was safe. We got rid of things that we loved, but knew that those things were not necessary for us to survive. Throughout the last 2 years I have thought about one or two items and wondered why I got rid of them. Like wise, some of the items that we moved here I wonder why I wasted good space in bringing them with us.
There are two particular items that I never understood why I kept. Two items that cost next to nothing and had been around for YEARS, never used or touched, and yet I took the time to put them in a box and move them over 1,000 miles. Why?
I remember purchasing these 2 things in Greenville when Russell was first born. Thinking about it now, it seems all the more strange knowing that I not only moved these things once, but I moved them from our first apartment to our second apartment. Then I moved them from our second apartment to our house. Then I moved them from our house to this place. 3 moves. That's a lot of moves for 2 little Kool Aid packets.
Yeah, that's what I said. Kool Aid. I have no idea what made me purchase these 2 packets of Kool Aid 7 years ago, but I did. Neither R.C. or myself are Kool Aid drinkers and I don't like the boys to have sugar filled drinks (gasp!) so I had never made it for them...and they never asked for it.
Until today.
This afternoon the boys went outside to play with a friend right after lunch. Before I knew it, it was 3:00 and they were still outside running wild with their buddy. As I stood in my teeny tiny kitchen listening to 3 boys playing in the back parking lot, I had to smile. That's when I opened the cupboard to see 2 little Kool Aid packets staring at me. I thought I would be a good mom today and make a pitcher of ice cold Kool Aid for when they came back inside. I felt this was a pretty big moment for myself. This was the first time in 7 years (actually probably much longer since we rarely got Kool Aid growing up either. But I am certain it has been at least 7 years so that's what I'm going with.) that I had made Kool Aid.
Max was the first to come in. He was just taking a break from playing for a second to take care of some "business", but I was so excited I offered him a glass of bright red liquid right away. I poured him a glass and he took a small drink and then put the glass down. I asked him if he liked it and he responded with an "ehhh". Next up was Russell. He came in for the same "business" and I offered him a drink also. He refused! What!?
Sure for a second I was broken hearted thinking that I was failing as an all American mother, but soon I brushed those feelings aside and relized that all these years they have not been missing out on anything since they didn't really care for the stuff anyways. Then I felt some what proud realizing that they (mainly Russell since Max did at least try it) made a smart healthy choice even when unhealthy foods were offered, all on their own.
All that to say...our move (if and when) will be 2 Kool Aid packets lighter. One packet was made today, and the other went in the garbage. Downsizing feels great!
*Just so you know how old these packets were...they expired in 2006! Yes, I still made the one...how does that stuff go bad? All it is is fake flavoring and other additives.
*I mean no disrespect to Kool Aid drinkers out there! Really!!
3 comments:
You must be so proud! :)
I completely understand! I used to hate gatorade because it tasted like watered down koolaid. Then I drank it and got used to it. Then I started on G2 (gatorade with less sugar) and now I don't like regular gatorade! I really wouldn't miss G2 at this point, either. My drink of choice will always be ice water or a nice cold glass of milk!
we were RAISED kool-aid drinkers.
don't ask me how or why, since Cindy's not too big on "bad" foods and was strict on soda consumption.
but there was ALWAYS a pitcher of kool-aid in the fridge.
Post a Comment