It has come to my attention that someone out there, maybe more than one, thinks I am a hypocrite. That's the word this person used. I was bombarded with comments on my blog the other afternoon (20+ comments in one day!) from an "anonymous" person. The problem is that they think I am a hypocrite for saying ,"I don't like the boys to have sugar filled drinks" and yet I have several (yes, this person pointed out each and every one) postings in which the boys are pictured with ice cream cones, doughnuts, hot chocolate, etc.. This person feels I am too busy pretending I am concerned with sugar intake and not concerned enough about the happiness of my children. I was also told that I need to stop putting down others who choose to give their kids pop, cookies, etc..
Sigh.
I don't even know how to begin to approach this.
I never set out to upset people with my opinions about food. I never meant to put others down for their food choices. I never meant to insult anyone who makes their kids a pitcher of Kool-aid. I really don't care if you give your kid 2 cups of sugar as a bed time snack, or if you consider french fries as vegetables. This is my blog and I am telling how I run my home and how I feel about things. I am sorry if anyone (and apparently some do) reads this blog and feels I am "preaching too much about something I don't practice myself" and "putting on a show to make people believe that you eat healthy all the time".
I feed my family nutritious food, even when other people are not around. I do not do it for show or to make myself sound good on this blog. I do it because childhood obesity, diabetes, and other health issues concern me. I want my family to live long lives. I do however let my kids have treats. I don't think of myself as a hypocrite when it comes to food. I do feed my family healthy foods and I give them treats from time to time. Moderation is key! Along the way I may try to convince others that it does not take extra time or money to buy and cook fresh foods instead of "convenience foods" that are loaded with extra stuff that our bodies don't need. If that is taken as preaching, then I will stop preaching.
As far as the comment about me not being "concerned enough about the happiness of my children"....I've got nothing to say other than you obviously don't know me, my husband, or my children.
"Anonymous" really made me not want to blog. I'm sure that was the purpose, and for the last few days, he/she succeeded.
*All comments from this person have been deleted because they were rude and nasty*
7 comments:
It wasn't me! I say that I prefer milk or water, but we drink pop occasionally in our house, too! Keep on blogging, Melissa, and there is nothing wrong with the occasional treat! I saw an article the other day about how some people take the strict healthy-foods-only diet too far, too. So we could, but we won't, bash those folks if we wanted to.
All is good in moderation!
Who would waste their time being angry about a stranger's blog?
Seriously. Go eat some junk food if you're so infuriated by some else's healthy choices.
Your kids are happy and healthy and I know this first hand.
Well i think sugar is needed in treats! and that is exactly all those pictures are. Treats from grandparents, aunts, uncles, special occasions. Dont trouble yourself! i enjoy reading your blog so keep it up Melissa!!
It was me. No, I'm kidding, I would sell my little sister for chocolate, but I would NEVER feed my children KoolAid. ;)
Wow! That is really bizarre! So sorry that you had to endure that nonsense - you have 3 fans in Oregon - keep blogging!
While this has certainly been a diary of family events, this has also been an interesting observation and commentary on life values and issues. What an interesting insight and perspective! Keep it up!!
Last comment from......
Post a Comment