Thursday, February 11, 2010

Today the boys and I sat down with construction paper, scissors, glitter and glue. We were all ready to make Valentine's Day cards. I thought I had a great idea when I pulled out 2 small boxes of the, always classic, "Sweethearts" candy hearts. You know what I'm talking about...the small hearts that are pastel colors with sweet Valentine messages, printed in red, in the center of the heart. Or, at least, that is what they are supposed to look like.

I thought we could get a few Valentine sayings from the candies and enjoy an afternoon treat at the same time. Well, that didn't work out as planned. First of all, Russell's box had 5 pieces in it, and Max's was filled to the top. Luckily Max was more than happy to fill Russell's box to the half way point so they had an equal amount. Secondly, all the words were printed off center so we had no clue what 80% of the hearts said; not too helpful when we were counting on these candies for words to write on our cards. Finally, the only hearts that printed clearly said, "TEXT ME" and "TWEET ME". These are not sweet words that I want to hear from my valentine, and the boys had no clue what they meant. Does the cyber world really need to get involved in everything?

What happened to "LOVE ME", "BE MINE", "YOU'RE SWEET" and "HUGS AND KISSES"? Were people really writing the Sweetheart company asking them to include "TWEET ME" on a candy heart? I doubt it. Maybe I'm annoyed by this because I don't really know or understand what twitter is, but come on!

Our card making afternoon lasted about 15 minutes. Russell was only interested in cutting up the paper and drawing cartoon characters that make you think of anything but Valentine's Day, and Max wrote his name over and over on a couple of hearts and then wanted to make glue mountains and cover them in glitter.

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today (who me?!) but I threw in the towel on card making after these 15 minutes. It was one of those days when we fight to make it through our lessons, I found a stash of dirty clothes under the bookshelf that no one would claim, and I feel like I want to let the dishes pile up because all I want to do it grab a warm blanket from the radiator and watch a mindless movie. Maybe we will try card making tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Today was not a fantastic day. Today was not even a good day. Today is not one I would want to do over. It's days like this when I need more pictures like this:
What is that? It's Max squishing his nose into mine (what we call a "snuggle kiss") while he takes a blurry picture of it. Bad days are few, but they happen, and they pass. Maybe tomorrow will be a snuggle kiss day, not today, and I'm ok with that.

1 comment:

bp said...

I think a snuggle kiss should make up for an entire bad day!