Wednesday, September 2, 2009


The first day of school was great! The boys were up early and ready to start the day at 7:00 am, which would have been great had I been able to fall asleep before 4:30 am. But we were all excited so the tiredness has not hit me until now (which is why I drank 2 cups of coffee after supper...so now I will once again not be able to sleep!! What is wrong with me!!) They were both very eager to get to work, mainly because they wanted to use their new pencils. Much of the work I had planned for Max was to be done in crayon, which he was not too happy about. He only wanted to do work if he was able to use a pencil, so we switched gears and worked on writing numbers. Russell did great and retained much more information from last year than I thought he would. We are in for a really great year I think.

We headed to the library this afternoon to pick out some new challenging chapter books for Russell, and Max was determined to find some "preschool chapter books on colors with dogs in them" that he can read. Russell has become good friends with the librarian in the children's library. He loves to talk with her and just hang out near the desk so he can tell her random facts of his life. She is always happy to see the boys and is more than willing to do anything to get them the books they want to read. Over the years we have learned that a librarian is a good person to have on your side, especially if you are 6 and want to request massive amounts of Pokemon books through inter library loan without your mom and dad knowing, so they can't say "only one Pokemon book today". Hmmm, who would be this sneaky?

As we were finishing up our work today Russell began thinking about his preschool teacher. Yes, it has been a few years since he was in Mrs. B's class, but to Russell is was just yesterday. She really was the one who got Russell started on the right foot when it comes to school. (She also taught Russell great songs that he is hoping to help me teach Max this year! What a nice older brother.) Mrs. B is also the reason that Russell wore a blazer to preschool one day and has loved blazers ever since. He wanted to look "sharp" one day for her so he found a blazer in an old box of hand me downs we received from someone. He obviously liked the response he got from her because he wore that blazer until the buttons fell off. I guess he wanted to look extra nice today also since he pulled his newer blazer from the closet for first day of school pictures.

Ahhh...Russell and his blazer.

Max when he was not so happy about using crayons (he's too grown up for them??!), but still working hard.



2 comments:

Jen said...

Backpacks and all! I guess I just thought they'd have a place to put there things-Now all they need it plastic lunch boxes with cartoon pictures on them!

So happy to hear the first day went well! Such smart little guys you have. Good luck with the rest of the year!

bp said...

Looks like this is a pretty attentive class of boys!