Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Summer is over! Well, summer break is over. Tomorrow we start lessons in first grade and preschool. The boys are excited to start school in the morning and they each picked out the pencil and eraser they want to use for the first assignment. Max was talking today about how he wants to learn to read a map on the first day of school, and Russell was kind enough to inform him that you don't read maps in preschool...you sing songs and color. But, hey, if Max wants to learn to read a map then we will work on it! :)

Due to today being our last day of summer break we wanted to end it with a bang. After a quick workout at the gym, we headed out to do some mini golf and go cart driving. Just a few miles from here there is a place that has bumper cars, go carts, slick tracks and mini golf, along with other things. It was a cool morning and we had the place almost to our selves. We took a quick drive around the go cart track and then hit the mini golf holes. We quickly realized that after the first hole we were not going to keep score. Russell took 17 strokes to get his ball in the first hole...he will definitely not be following in Tiger Woods' shoes. Max thought that he had to keep hitting his ball while it was rolling so who knows how many strokes he took. It was very fun though!! We then went back to the go cart track and had a race. Russell was a great co-pilot to me and Max was co-pilot to R.C.. Russell and I tried our best to beat R.C. and Max, but I am a much more careful driver than R.C. and would slow down for each turn, but I know for next time that that is not necessary. Watch out!! We finished our time there by giving the boys each $1.00 (I know...now days that's not much, but it seemed adequate to me. Not everyone agreed...) to play some video games.
Great form...
Last week I was able to take my kitchen back after surrendering it to the heat of summer. For weeks I didn't want to cook so as not to heat the house more. The heat has let up so I celebrated by baking some bread. This might not thrill all of you out there, but let me tell you, I have never smiled so much while making the boys their beloved PB&J. You see, I had some homemade jam I whipped up at the beginning of summer, some homemade peanut butter I made a few days earlier, and homemade bread. It makes me feel great to know each and every ingredient they are eating and know that I did it in my little kitchen instead of hundreds of ingredients being dumped together in a huge factory. Too bad I couldn't have milked the cow to get their milk or picked the corn to make their corn tortilla chips. Maybe someday...

3 comments:

Chris said...

Perhaps Max can learn to read a map, I had a third grader tell me today he wanted to learn to drive a bulldozer in third grade. Don't really want to burst his bubble, but I don't think he's going to learn that from me! Maybe he could teach that to me! Have a good day of school!

Nancy said...

Homemade bread is the best!! We divide the duties in this house. Dan is the bread maker and I am the jam/jelly maker. Never tried peanut butter - Amy's nut allergy...

We'll enjoy hearing about your school year as it progresses.

Anonymous said...

Biz,
I'm sure you can pick corn and milk cows at the Campbell Farm any time you are back in WI!! It actually could be a field trip for you guys!!
~Jennie