Well, in all my 6 long years of being a mother I have never used a store bought kit, and yet, each of these 6 years we have colored Easter eggs. No, there's nothing wrong with the kits. They are perfectly fine and if you use them, I still like you. Personally, I like food coloring and a white crayon. The food coloring makes the eggs a deeper color and with the crayon you can draw all sorts of fun things on the egg. Not to mention you don't have to buy these kits for _____ (I have no idea how much they cost...) and you can use up some of that food coloring you have sitting in your cupboard. Each year the pouty faces have quickly changed when the little bowls of colored water are set out and the eggs are boiled. I'm still waiting to hear, "mom you were right! We don't need to buy those gimmicky little kits. You're the best!" Hmmm....I'm not going to hold my breath as I am sure this will never be uttered across the lips of these little boys.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Each year it seems the week before Easter Russell and I have the same argument, and this year Maxwell joined Russell's team and they were really angry with me together. As soon as we see the egg dye kits in stores I start hearing that we must get one. We have to get one or we can't dye eggs. We must have eggs with stickers and glitter and bows and whistles or it just won't be Easter. Everyone gets the kit, it's the only way to do it!! Each year we leave the store with no kit and each year Russell has been angry (ok, so maybe he wasn't angry when he was in infant. But, as soon as he knew what the kits were all about he was angry). We leave the store with pouty faces and I hear nonstop talking about how we won't have cool eggs.
Well, in all my 6 long years of being a mother I have never used a store bought kit, and yet, each of these 6 years we have colored Easter eggs. No, there's nothing wrong with the kits. They are perfectly fine and if you use them, I still like you. Personally, I like food coloring and a white crayon. The food coloring makes the eggs a deeper color and with the crayon you can draw all sorts of fun things on the egg. Not to mention you don't have to buy these kits for _____ (I have no idea how much they cost...) and you can use up some of that food coloring you have sitting in your cupboard. Each year the pouty faces have quickly changed when the little bowls of colored water are set out and the eggs are boiled. I'm still waiting to hear, "mom you were right! We don't need to buy those gimmicky little kits. You're the best!" Hmmm....I'm not going to hold my breath as I am sure this will never be uttered across the lips of these little boys.



Well, in all my 6 long years of being a mother I have never used a store bought kit, and yet, each of these 6 years we have colored Easter eggs. No, there's nothing wrong with the kits. They are perfectly fine and if you use them, I still like you. Personally, I like food coloring and a white crayon. The food coloring makes the eggs a deeper color and with the crayon you can draw all sorts of fun things on the egg. Not to mention you don't have to buy these kits for _____ (I have no idea how much they cost...) and you can use up some of that food coloring you have sitting in your cupboard. Each year the pouty faces have quickly changed when the little bowls of colored water are set out and the eggs are boiled. I'm still waiting to hear, "mom you were right! We don't need to buy those gimmicky little kits. You're the best!" Hmmm....I'm not going to hold my breath as I am sure this will never be uttered across the lips of these little boys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I always thought there was some magic in those little colored tablets.(The decals never worked for us) Looks like smiling boys in the end. You are right, Mom! Happy Easter.
From sad to goofy to happy boys. Good job.
Show Russell these pictures next year so he can recall what fun he had doing it the old-fashioned way. Did you have an egg hunt or just lots of hard-boiled egg meals? I never bought the fancy kits unless it eas an after Easter clearance sale.
I have not checked your blog for a week. I am glad it is still exciting there. Melissa, did you really expect Max to take your side instead of Russell’s side in the discussion of buying egg dye kits??? I am sure Max found Russell’s arguments much more persuasive than your arguments!
You said you are tempted to tape Russell’s mouth shut. In the last week I heard about a mother in Canada who posted a message on her blog that sometimes she was tempted to strangle her child. Within a few hours the Royal Canadian Mounted Police pulled up to her door and wanted to check on the safety of her child. Someone saw the post, and was not sure if she really meant it. (She did not really mean it, just like you really do not mean it.) As a joke, I am tempted to call the Providence Police and ask them to check out the safety of Russell and Max, telling them you have posted messages saying you may injure them. I bet R and M’s eyes would grow huge if a police person came to their door and wanted to talk with them! Meanwhile, you would be dying of embarrassment. It is a good thing we like you, Melissa, otherwise we might do it!
(By the way, as a kid we ALWAYS used the Easter egg dye kits. But then, our mother loved us.)
I know how much you love your boys
Post a Comment