Thursday, December 11, 2008

Today is R.C.'s birthday!!

When R.C.'s birthday comes up each year I can't help but think back to the first birthday that I celebrated with him. We were in college. Dating about 3 months. This was the first time I gave him a gift. This was the gift that was going to set the standard for all other gifts given in the years to come, and I chose...socks. SOCKS!!! What man in college would want socks for his birthday? For some unknown reason, I thought this was a great idea. I remember picking them out, wrapping them in tissue paper, and tying a bow on to make it look pretty. This was not a package of socks either, it was a single pair. Blue. It makes me laugh hysterically now thinking back to how he seemed so happy to have that pair of socks when he opened them. He even made a point of showing me he was wearing them some days. I can only imagine the looks on his friends faces when they asked what his girlfriend got him for his birthday, and he had to say, "socks". I hate to say, my gift giving skills have not improved.

I feel I must keep up the trend I started and write "a few facts" about R.C. (I will stick to the last few years) :
  • R.C. can fall asleep anywhere, anytime. This is not just a light "resting the eyes" sleep. This is a deep "rattle the ceiling with my snoring" sleep. In the car, on the floor, in the middle of a book with 2 boys sitting on his lap...anywhere! It's really quite amazing. People say they feel they could fall asleep before their head hits the pillow, but R.C. can really do this!! I've seen it happen!!
  • He likes to make "clean out the refrigerator" soup. He will put EVERYTHING in a pot and call it soup. Once he ended up making some really great fish soup. But one time he made left over chicken nugget soup. Not so good!!
  • R.C. is Birdman. I believe he is beginning to change over to Bird Mister though...
  • He can fix anything. ANYTHING!!
  • He hates the thought of anything bad happening to his toenails.
  • R.C. is GREAT at parallel parking.
  • R.C. never gets lost.
  • He likes to sing crazy songs he made up in his head, to the boys.
  • He makes great bird houses and benches! (along with other things also)
  • R.C. likes to drink Dr. Pepper with his Chinese food. A good Chinese meal can easily be ruined if there is no Dr. Pepper.
  • He is a very hard worker.
  • He does not, I repeat does not, like to wait for people.
  • He has a really neat sock drawer. Mine = complete chaos! R.C.'s = neat and orderly.







Happy birthday R.C.! You're a fantastic husband and dadden (also know as Dad)!!
(I know you don't want a cake, but we are making one anyways. Just try to keep your fingers off it!)

(this pictures makes me laugh!! His face, and the girl in the distance...)

4 comments:

Jen said...

he's a pretty great brother, too.

and believe it or not, I didn't know some of those facts.

weird to think I've known him 24 odd years and you know him better than me. I guess I never shared a room with him...

we're pretty lucky.

Jen said...

ps. in the hill picture Russell looks like he only has one arm.
and ALSO.

if you're computer is still broken, don't worry- but I'd love to see a haircut picture...

xxo.

The Ocean State Sayler Family Blog said...

It is still broken. These are all older pictures we took before it broke. I do have pictures of "the haircut", before and after, but can't share them.

Dad S. said...

We thoroughly enjoy reading these posts. I hope that soon you will post an entry and tell us all about MELISSA.