It's New Years Eve once again and I can not help but think of the past year. It has been a year of change for all of us in the Sayler home. At times all this change is overwhelming and I find myself thinking, "what are we thinking/doing?" But I remember that change is part of life and yes, it may be hard and scary, but it is also very very exciting.
Maxwell started out the year by being very shy and quiet. He was 2 years old and didn't say much of anything. He clung to me, needed me to sit with him until he fell asleep and was just a very quiet child. He is now talking nonstop. For those of you who can't imagine Max ever uttering a word, trust me, he talks more than Russell at times. Max is also no longer a baby. Yes, I know, he's 3 and just being 3 kicks him out of the baby category, but all "baby activities" are no longer acceptable. He does not like to have help getting dressed, he does not like to hold hands, and the days of me sitting on his bed while he falls asleep are gone. He knows he is a big boy and loves to prove it to people by jumping off big rocks, going potty on his own and carrying a full gallon of milk to the table, with no help.
Russell is, in most ways, the same old Russell he has always been (which is a good thing!). He still loves dinosaurs and Spiderman and wearing costumes on any given day. He is learning so much though! He started the year attending preschool at the public school where he had the best teacher anyone could ask for. If all teachers could be like this preschool teacher, the world would be filled with kids who WANT to go to school and love to learn. She got him started on the right track for school and that is the best thing anyone could ask for! Which brings us to Russell's big change...homeschooling. He is doing so well and seems to enjoy it. He is adding, reading, and writing sentences. He can also tell you all about the weather, time, and land masses. Russell is also very helpful around the house. He used to do nothing to contribute to a meal, but he is setting the table now and pouring drinks.
R.C. was able to quit his job in 2008 and instantly became a happier person. Yes, he was able to quit a 40 hour a week job, but he is now putting in well over 40 hours in grad school. Even with more hours "working" he is still much happier since now he doesn't have to sit on the phone all day long. R.C. finished off his first semester with straight A's!!! Let's see another 3 semesters of straight A's (I know he is more than capable of doing this)!!
As for me, well, I didn't have many monumental things happen in 2008. I have been able to carry a gallon of milk to the table for some time now. I have been able to read for a number of years, and I didn't just get straight A's. I feel like a good part of the year I spent packing boxes, unpacking boxes, sorting boxes and condensing boxes. I think I might have our home set up just right in about 2 years, just as R.C. is ready to graduate and we will move again. I also took on the task of homeschooling Russell. I am very happy with how Russell is learning, except when people ask him what he is learning. I cringe when I hear this question because each and every time it is asked Russell will answer, "I don't know". This part of homeschooling drives me nuts!
My top 2 strengths (according to the Strengths Finder test taken at Greenville College) are positivity and adaptability. These were put to the test this year and for the most part, I think I kept a fairly positive outlook on things and have adapted some what well to Rhode Island in the past few months.
Tonight we will ring in the new year with sparkling blueberry juice (for the boys) snacks and maybe a game of scrabble (exciting time, right?!). I have yet to come up with a great new years resolution. Usually I don't come up with one until about Easter time, and by then I feel it is too late to start something different, so I tell myself I will use it has my resolution for next year. I then forget about it by the next new years and I once again have nothing to declare my resolution. It's a cycle that never stops...
3 comments:
Melissa, thanks again for posting such great blogs, and with such good pictures.
Do the boys (Russell, at least) have any comprehension of how New Years Eve represents the changing of the year? Does he know what year it is, and that we will be starting a new year? (I am sure Max doesn't grasp the concept. But I think Russell would.)
Looking at those pictures of you folks on the beach made me think how cosmopolitan you all have become. You can go see the ocean any time you want. I remember when someone said she had never even seen the ocean! You are a long ways from Wisconsion and Illinois.
Has Chris seen the ocean before, or is this her first time?
Don't party too much this evening.
I think someone deserves several AAA+++. Certainly in teaching children, supporting her husband, and yes--adapting to many changes and keeping a positive attitude throughout. You have a gift to write also. "Life as the Saylers live it" reads like a good piece of literature--interesting and always wanting more. Many AAA+++ to you and Happy New Year!
(This is Dad S. I am trying to teach Grandma S. how to leave comments.)
Tomorrow we are mailing a small package to you. You should get it within a week. We thought you probably did not get enough for Christmas!
Post a Comment