Believe it or not, I once fought and argued with my sisters. We were typical siblings who fought over very serious issues like who got the front seat in the car, who got to dust the cupboard with the teapots in the kitchen, and who had to clean the upstairs bathroom. At the time these were incredibly important. We would yell (we didn't scream, but we would yell), stomp off, and on occasion, pinch. My mothers solution to bickering and general not getting along with one another, was to make us spend nonstop time together so we were forced to either work it out, or just drop the whole thing. (There was once an incident that happened with my 2 sisters and a jump rope. Let's just say they had to spend A LOT of time together, in VERY close quarters. They seemed to learn their lesson, at least for that week. haha) I feel this theory worked since I don't recall any long term grudges or feuds between the 3 of us. (Please sisters, correct me if I'm wrong....)
There are days when I can imagine how my mother felt during these arguments. These are the days when I say the same things over and over to the boys.
"Come on guys. Please get along."
"Stop arguing about everything."
"You're brothers, you should like each other and want to get along."
On these particular days, I want to scream and hide in the bathroom with a carton of ice cream for 5 minutes of alone time. Don't get me wrong, I do believe the boys get along well for the most part, but when these "bad days" hit, they hit hard! These are the days when I feel my sweet little boys will never get along again. They will go through life not caring what is happening with each other and never call to check up on one another. These are the days when I brainstorm, trying to figure out a way that I can make them realize that someday, maybe not now, but someday, they will enjoy each other. They will call semi-daily to chat and genuinely care for one another.
Which brings me to my funny/cute story.
Once again these little boys have made me smile and laugh. Yesterday we went to the park. R.C. and I were sitting on a bench watching the boys play when another little boy came over to play with them. Russell decided to play a game of tag with the new boy, and began running. The new boy chased Russell. Maxwell chased the new boy while yelling, "don't get my brother" in a very serious tone. Maxwell seemed genuinely concerned for Russell's well being. The tables turned and Maxwell was on the "being chased" end, with Russell yelling, "leave my brother alone." This new boy was very nice and was only playing, but it was nice to see that when it comes down to it, my boys have each others back even though they do argue at times. I can keep the jump ropes for jumping and not use them for tying them together. Yet.
I will no longer worry about their "brotherly bond". It is there and it shows itself when it is needed. I will continue to keep just a bit of chocolate in house for the "bad days" that will inevitably come for the next 15 years.
2 comments:
How interesting and true from my experience. My mother had a phrase that was stretching it a bit, but she referred to the 5 of us as "street angels and house devils." Only FIVE minutes of ice cream and solitude will work? I needed more.
That together time works...no matter where we were my dad made us sit back to back until we could get up and give each other a hug, and say "i love you". God it was torture at the time...papa jim even sat us down in the barn, right in the middle of the walk!!
Post a Comment