Recently I read an article about blogging. To sum it up: Women (particularly mothers) read other blogs and believe that other families are "perfect". No fighting kids, no tantrums, perfect marriage, always clean house, etc.. It told how unhealthy it is for women/mothers to think this way because, come on, no family is "perfect". But, when they read other family blogs they begin to feel they are failing because their family is not "perfect" like these others seem to be.
I'm sure no one thinks that my family is "perfect", but just to make sure, I wanted to share with you a few reasons why we are far from "perfect".
1. Our good ol' family rules sheet is smudged and wrinkled due to little boys crying on it while standing in time out so often.
2. Some nights the boys are in bed by 7:15 pm because I just need the day to be over.
3. I try to make everything from scratch, but I still have fish sticks and french fries in the freezer for when I just don't want to cook.
4. I do laundry on Monday. I fold it on Monday night. It usually doesn't get put away until Thursday...or the next Monday when I need the laundry basket to carry the dirty clothes downstairs.
5. Many family outings don't happen. People (I'm not naming names here...) get cranky so we turn the car around and go home.
6. School is a chore some days. Russell is good about doing work most of the time, but there are days when he cries and whines about every little assignment I give him. These are the days when I want to cry and whine too.
7. R.C. and I have a very happy marriage, but there are times when we argue and don't speak for days. There are days I am thankful he has a studio to go to. :)
8. I have told the boys we are going on a nature walk to find leaves, mushrooms, nuts, insects...but my main goal is to get to the pharmacy up the street to get a diet coke.
9. Max has rule #3 on our rules sheet memorized because he has been in timeout so many times for breaking the rule. ("Do what you are told the first time you are told.")
10. Russell is sometimes up for an hour before anyone else stirs in the morning, and I'm ok with that. He is the only morning person in this household.
11. I have thrown toys away in anger because they we being fought over/not picked up.
The list could go on and on.
You see, those things would not be fun to read about. But, even though we are not a perfect family, we are happy, have fun together, and love each other. I don't compare my family to others, so I hope others don't compare themselves to us. We are far from "perfect" and loving every minute of it!
2 comments:
sounds perfect to me!
sounds like you handle the imperfections perfectly.
i quite prefer to read about the reality of daily living rather than hearing ONLY perfect stories... It's more accessible, but that's just me.
Post a Comment