Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I completely forgot to write about a super fun night we had last week!

Since we are so into baseball this summer we decided to take in a Paw Sox game at McCoy Stadium. It was a beautiful night and the boys were well rested and excited for their first baseball game. After a quick supper we pulled on our Red Sox (Paw Sox are the minor league Red Sox) hats, grabbed the boys ball gloves and took off to see the game. We had amazing seats! R.C. was thrilled to sit next to a man who took up his own seat and some of R.C.'s, and I was lucky enough as to sit next to a woman who talked my ear off. I smuggled some Twizzlers in my purse since I hate spending a fortune on ball game snacks, but we did get some Gatorade and ice cream in a helmet.

We were having a great time until about the 6th inning. The boys were great, but there was a man who ruined the evening for many people in our section.

You see, a few rows down from us there was another family who had small kids. The dad, and one of the boys, was sitting in one row and the mom, and other little boy, were sitting back a row or 2. The dad had taken one boy out to get a drink and as they were coming back, and squeezing past the people in their row, the little boy tripped and spilled a bit of his drink on a man sitting in the row. I, and everyone else, watched as the dad apologized and sat down with the boy on his lap. This grown man jumped out of his seat and started yelling at the little kid!!! This man was probably in his early 50's and the kid looked to be about 3. He proceeded to call the kid horrible HORRIBLE names! I'm talking 4 letter words that you should NEVER say around a kid...let alone AT a kid! The dad was holding the kid trying to keep calm and apologize, but the man was not having it. He was threatening to "meet" the dad in the parking lot and kept yelling at the kid and sticking his finger in the kid's face. He was so angry he stormed off, forcing his wife to leave also (lucky lady) and stopped where the mother and other kid were sitting. He then got in her face and began yelling at her also. She clapped her hands over the child's ears and just shook her head. Everyone around us was yelling at this man telling him to watch his mouth, but he didn't care. For the remainder of the game the dad held the boy while the boy kept his head down or on his dad's shoulder.


I don't think I could have kept my cool like these parents did if some man was yelling at my child (but yes, I understand it could be worse for a child to see their parent yell at another adult...it's a tough call). I could hardly keep my cool sitting a few rows up. If I would have been closer I am certain I would have snapped. Sure the kid spilled on him. I saw the man's shirt...it was maybe 8 spots of lemonade on his shirt. It's a ball game, expect to get hot, sweaty, and a little dirty...and it's not like the man was wearing a 3 piece suit. He had on a t-shirt and jean shorts. He made a huge scene and quite possibly ruined baseball games for this little kid.


As we left that night I thanked the talkative lady sitting next to me for being so kind to us. She talked and talked and talked, but she also gave tissues and hand sanitizer to the boys when they were covered in ice cream and laughed more at/with the boys as they were acting silly. She told about her grand kids and about her husband snoring in his easy chair while she is trying to watch a show. She said it was one of the most enjoyable games she had been to, and she didn't even watch much of the game, she watched the boys more. I realized that she was the perfect seat neighbor. She was the kind of person you hope to sit by at a baseball game.

All week I have been thinking about this and I still feel horrible for the little boy and his parents. Randomly during my day I will think how this grown man acted and hope that I never see someone act this way again.

2 comments:

Jen said...

you're doing an awesome job with these kids. really showing them an all american child hood. they'll have fond memories one day! :p

Anonymous said...

Talently...