Thursday, December 25, 2008

This morning was Christmas morning, as if you all didn't know that. 7:30 AM rolled around and 2 little boys were standing at our bedside, just starring at me (why they always come to my side of the bed and wake me up first I just don't understand). I knew what they wanted, but thought that I could buy myself a few more minutes of sleep by telling Max he had to get his pull-up off and put his underpants on before we could go see if Santa had come. Russell was on top of things and had already helped Max get changed (what a nice big brother! On any other day he would not have done this...) so there was nothing that I could do but get up.

Santa did, in fact, come to Providence, ate all the cookies left out, and also gave the carrot to Rudolph. The presents were soon all opened and then the "playing with the toys" began. I must admit, I'm kind of a boring person when it comes to lots of new things all at once. I immediately go into "mommy mode" and want one toy out at a time. But before that can happen, I want people dressed and messes cleaned up. The boys were in luck though...daddy was in charge. I excused myself to the kitchen to get Christmas dinner made while R.C. was in charge of the boys. He allowed them to stay in their pj's (which they are STILL in. We have no company and nowhere to go so why not?) and get out all their toys at one time. I smiled and shook my head when legos were rolling under my feet in the kitchen and I was asked for batteries every 5 minutes. I now understand why mom and dad wanted to get things in the oven and a few other kitchen chores done before we attacked the presents. As a kid I never understood why we had to wait at the top of the stairs, for what seemed like eternity, while these chores were done. I now understand that once the presents are opened nothing gets done and the mess, no matter how clean you have your home the night before, just gets worse and worse. Paper and boxes are everywhere. Even if you don't have too many presents to open, the paper will take over. I find paper scraps in the bathroom and under pillows. Oh well...it happens once a year.


Russell got a robe. He really wanted one and he looks like a little bachelor in this one sipping coffee (OK...so it's juice).
Max...kind of excited about legos

The one gift they both REALLY REALLY wanted
A super cheap knight dress up set that Max loved when he saw it in the store. It is flimsy and will not protect him from his enemies, but he thinks he is tough stuff when he puts it on...
Soon the sword was used to open presents. R.C. with his nice warm hat and Max with a harmonica.
Even after all the presents, singing, reading Christmas stories and baking, I had a hard time getting in the Christmas mood. We all felt a little strange not having any other family around to visit with or share a meal with. Every other year we have spent Christmas day, and the days leading up to Christmas, with family, so having a quiet day was different. I did get a GREAT surprise when I checked the messages on my phone and I heard my uncle Kenny singing O Holy Night. When uncle Kenny sings O Holy Night he can make a grown man cry. He has been singing this song in church every Christmas since, well, I can't remember a Christmas that he hasn't sung it. I thought this year I would have to get through Christmas without hearing it, until this afternoon. Thank you Kenny!

A good and relaxing day was had by all.

My sister, Chris, is flying to Providence tonight! I am going to pick her up in just a few hours and she will stay and visit for a few days. We are all very excited, but wonder where she will put her suitcase once she gets here (she is not one to travel light...).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris did a great job--one suitcase and a carryon--less than when she comes for a weekend visit. I'm sure you'll show her a wonderful time. Look like some pretty fun gifts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your Christmas with us! Looks like you can pull it off all by yourselves! Russell looks like a young C.S. Lewis and Max looks like a Templar Knight in training. RC looks like a trapper who has just trudged in from Maine. We cna't see you Melissa, but I'm sure you had an all-day smile and a dish towel in your hands when the camera was not! Hope Chris made the connection in Chicago and you are now enjoying her company.

Jen said...

So glad I got to talk to guys if only briefly and if not on Christmas! It'd been too long! Glad you got the Skype thing figured out! Hopefully I can call again soon and talk to the boys...if I can find a good time!!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox.