Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Last night I was able to go to Target alone. Yes, you read that right, ALONE.
I know what you're thinking..."if she complains about never seeing R.C. then why did she go alone if R.C. was home for the evening? Why didn't he go with her?"
Well, the answer is that I would not have been able to pick up Maxwell's birthday gift if everyone was along. R.C. is a great husband who understands that I need alone time once in awhile and the boys were thrilled to have a night without mom around.

It did my mind/heart good to listen to music that I chose and sing as loud as I want without having to worry about fragile little ears in the backseat. I spent well over an hour looking around Target and I didn't even get a cart! I had no baggies of snacks to hand out, and no need for the potty once we got to the back of the store (the farthest point from the restroom). I was able to look at "girl stuff" (clothing/shoes/kitchen items/hair products) without having Russell tell me he is allergic to those things. I found Maxwell's gift and called home to announce that the mission was completed.

As I was making my way home, I was, very rudely, cut off and then forced off on an exit that I had not taken before, by a HUGE truck. Obviously, I knew I needed to just get back on the interstate and continue on my way, but it was not that simple. Every street was a one way and I could not get turned around. The street signs had all been spray painted so I couldn't read the names to know where I was. I got to the point where I had no idea where I was or how to get out. I witnessed several fights, real fights with fists swinging and feet kicking, as I locked my doors and wanted to fly through every stop sign I came too. Huge groups (20-30 in each group) of men were hanging out on each corner, and starred as I drove by in my little "birdman" car. I was the only car on the streets and soon realized that this was not an area to drive around in at night, probably not during the day time either. I frantically called R.C. and he helped me get my mind off the scary people outside and I was able to concentrate and get back on track. For other people, this might not have been so bad, but I have NO (and I mean NO!) sense of direction and know that if I get lost, I get REALLY lost. It also didn't help that it was completely dark, hardly any street lights, and obviously a very rough area.

I finally made it home to my wonderful little family, and laughed about my "oops" with them all. The boys went to bed without a single problem (they turned their light off and got in bed all by themselves without us saying a thing) and R.C. and I were able to relax for the evening.

Side note: Thanksgiving is 2 weeks away and all Fall/Thanksgiving items were on clearance at Target! Obviously to make way for the trees and wrapping paper which were filling practically half the store already!! I will spare you my thoughts on this...for today...

No comments: