Backseat drivers are never fun. I am sure that there is not a single person out there who gets into the drivers seat of their car and hopes that the person sitting directly behind them is going to be a backseat driver. They are the worst! A little guidance is OK from time to time, but to have someone constantly telling you that there is a stop sign ahead, a McDonald's at exit 4, or a road closed 2 blocks ahead, does not make for an enjoyable ride. Usually if a person is driving, it means that they can see and read perfectly well and they do not need to be told what signs say, or what color the light is.
Every time I get into my wonderful little car, I have a (sometimes 2 or 3) backseat driver. That's right...I have a 6 year old, and sometimes 3 years old, back seat driver. Now, Russell does not know all the rules of the road, but he gets the general idea when it comes to driving. Keep to one side of the road, stop on red, go on green, honk if someone cuts you off. What more do you need to know?
I have been driving for 10+ years and have never been pulled over or had an accident (knock on wood), yet Russell feels the need to correct me and instruct me as to how to drive. When stopped at a stop light I am informed that it has turned green and I need to go, even though the cars in front of me are not moving. When driving down the interstate I am made aware of EVERY sign we pass. I am told what is at each exit, which roads are closed, and how many miles to the next town.
Sure, this is good in some ways. He is learning to read and shows that he understands some basic rules of driving. But I wonder if having a sweet little boy yell, "it's green! Go already!!", "honk at that car!", from the back seat is such a good thing.
It makes me laugh though.
4 comments:
Appreciate this while you can. In about 8 more years, Russell will not want to talk with you, or even be seen with you (if he turns out like every other teenager in the United States).
And just think, if you do get stopped by the police for some reason, I am sure Russell will be glad(!) to inform the police officer how poor of a driver you truly are.
Gee, aren't you lucky! You have a six year old who can tell you how to drive and you have 2 Dad S's who are smart alecks.
All I can say is Good Luck!
Post a Comment