What is that piece of mail?
I will be waiting for a thank you note from the city of Providence for the hard work R.C. and I did this weekend. We had waited for the city to clean up "the car" mess, but they never came, and we were told that they never would come. We were told to wait for a heavy rain and magically all the debris would be washed away. Yeah, right! So, Saturday afternoon we got some shovels, brooms and a garbage can and we scraped the street where the rubber and other materials had melted to the road, picked up bolts and other metal pieces, and swept glass from the fire spot all the way to the end of the street where it had been scattered as the windows blew out. We filled a garbage can with car stuff and all that is left now is a huge, jet black spot in the road.
What's that you say? Don't wait for a thank you note? I figured they would over look our hard work, but a girl can dream.
It's done though. I will try to not think or talk of it any more (thank goodness, right?). I will quietly stay in my home and pack boxes and sort until our moving day (no, we don't know when or where we are moving, but it will be happening, so why not get ready?!).
Although the city of Providence has been unhelpful in the cleanup process, I do have to give credit to one of the kids from the street. We had just begun cleanup when he came walking down the street and asked if we wanted help. We told him that it wasn't neccessary, but thanked him for the offer, and he stuck around to chat and occassionally hold the garbage bag open.
And finally, just because:
3 comments:
Oh, I feel for you. I hope that packing can provide moments of solace, not stress. I'm excited for your transitions, but I can imagine the weight that the next few months will carry. We are praying that you guys find a good place to be when you leave Providence (but mostly that you will be close to us!)
"Let's see...I think I'll have some mint chocolate chip ice cream. No ice cream you say. He done et the whole thing?"
You had more people watching than you probable will ever know. You may have made a difference in their thinking and hopefully you felt good that you did your part for the earth.
I will tell you thank you for caring enough and being a example to your family.
Post a Comment