When we got older we found humor in recycling. I remember one specific time when all the Soman family got together for pizza and when the meal was over and people were ready to leave, everyone (well, maybe just my dad and his brothers) wanted to take the pizza boxes home with them for their recycling. They each thought these pizza boxes would be a wonderful addition to their weekly recycling pile. I don't remember who actually won rights the boxes, but I do remember laughing, along with sisters and cousins, until we cried, at these grown men who LOVED to recycle. You name it, and we recycled or reused it in some way.
Due to all this, recycling is just what we do now without even thinking (my phone even says "recycle" as the wallpaper, for crying out loud!). For years Greenville had no form of recycling so R.C. and I would save our recycling and wait for the day when my parents would come and visit. They would take our bottles, jugs and newspaper all the way to Wisconsin with them so it could be properly disposed of. Finally, the day came when Greenville got a recycling "center" so we could take our items across town instead of it traveling hundreds of miles in the back of a station wagon. Now we just take it to the curb.
We try our best to please Mother Earth. No plastic water bottles or plastic shopping bags for us (once in a great while we have to use a plastic shopping bag if I forget my Envirosax or if they are already being used). We use "green" cleaning supplies (such as these AWESOME ones I recently discovered). We walk when possible and drink tap water. We turn the thermostat down in the winter and wear an extra sweater and we recycle envelopes to use for other items needing to be mailed. I could go on and on about the ways we try to care for our earth. I'm not saying we are perfect!! Please, don't read this and think that I am saying we do no harm to the earth. I know that everyday, each and everyone of us does something to add to the pollution problem we have gotten ourselves into. I think it's the little things we do though that will help slow the problem down. It's really not that hard to switch to different cleaning supplies so water is not polluted quite as much or using a reusable water bottle instead of buying bottled water (not only are there 40 million water bottles being put into landfills each day, but bottled water is stinkin' expensive!).
Yesterday, as you know, was Earth Day. To celebrate this day the boys and I set out to pick up trash in our neighborhood. We got a bag full of recycling and a bag full of trash. Yes, we did use plastic shopping bags to pick this stuff up, and NO I did not throw the bags in the trash. The bag used for picking up trash was emptied into the trash can and the bag was put into recycling. I hope to make my kids love to recycle such as my parents did with me. So far Russell is very happy to recycle. He picks things up and carries them home if we are out walking and even got after Aunt Chrissy for even thinking of throwing a pop bottle in the garbage can. He made sure she carried it home in her purse and put it in recycling. Max took a little convincing yesterday, but soon became very interested in picking up trash. He wasn't interested in the big pieces, he went for the tiny scraps that were almost too small to pick up. Russell liked the big pieces, so together they made a GREAT team.

(I'll step down off my soapbox now....)
3 comments:
We did always have the neatest garbage/recycling pile outside on the curb. There was even a system for putting it out! :)
You make us all proud ;>)
What can I say. We'd better take care of the place we live. Our imprint is pretty heavy already. Good job!!
Post a Comment