Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lately we have been discussing safety rules/issues. We (the boys) know what to do in case of a fire and how to walk properly with scissors. Strangers are not to give us gifts or rides and seatbelts are to be worn at all times, even if an adult tells us it is ok not to. 911 is to be dialed in case of an emergency and you are to go nowhere without telling mom or dad where you will be. All topics have been covered and I feel these ideas have sunk in with both boys. At random times the boys come up with scenarios in which they ask each other what they would do if ________ were to happen. I have been pleasantly impressed with the responses they have come up with.

Yesterday Maxwell approached me and informed me of something that I had not thought to discuss with the boys. In a very (VERY) serious tone Maxwell said, "Mommy, we should never, I mean NEVER, take a ride from a pirate. NEVER! OK Mommy?"

I guess I had not thought about pirates coming and offering a ride to one of my boys, but Max is right; I would never want him to take a ride from a pirate. Who knew Max thinks about pirates coming a taking him. I guess now that we live close to the ocean this is a more reasonable fear than if we were in Illinois.

Oh the things kids think up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thinking Max! I wonder if that is partially due to playing with pirate Legos, or, have they seen Pirates of the Carribbean?

Anonymous said...

Ahoy matey! You've taught them well!!