Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Every kid makes butter at some point in their schooling. I remember doing this in kindergarten, and I had also found, on the kindergarten website I get my science ideas from, that they also thought kindergarten was a great age to make butter. All it takes is some heavy cream, salt (if desired), a jar with a lid and some shaking. When I announced that we were going to make butter the boys were thrilled and immediately ran to get a piece of bread, not thinking about the work they had to do in order to get this tasty butter.

I split the cream into 2 jars, handed them each a jar and let them shake it. We were having a great time! We had arms shaking, and soon whole bodies were shaking, jumping and dancing their way to fresh butter. Now, what they didn't tell me, and what I didn't remember from school, was that kids are only interested in shaking a jar of cream for about 5 min. If you have a classroom filled with 20-25 kids and each kid shakes the jar for 1-2 minutes this would be perfect. But, with only 3 people in our "class" I think you can imagine what happened. The boys shook for about 5 minutes and then I got to shake both jars for the remaining 20-30 minutes. It was well worth it though! We have delicious butter to top all our breads and we all can say we "made" it.

Max was really enjoying his time shaking the cream at first.


Russell shows the pain and hardship you have to go through in order to get freshly shaken butter.

3 comments:

Jen said...

HEY!!! That's my name on your refrigerator!!! Don't I feel special!

Maybe we could make some butter here at school....

What websites do you use for school!?!

Anonymous said...

Such pain!!

Anonymous said...

I also see the word 'gas' on the fridge.....