All mothers are pretty much the same.
Caring for their children, putting their children first, and trying every trick in the book to make a cranky child happy, are all traits that mothers have. Once you become a mother these things just come naturally. There is no way around it. (Unless of course you are one of those crazy mothers that you hear about on the news...I'm not talking about them, obviously. That's a whole other (sad) story.)
Last night I realized that I am very much like my own mother, and my mother-in-law. I had always realized it, even if I didn't want to admit it to myself. I have picked up little traits, sayings, and tecniques from both these ladies, but it wasn't until last night that I realized that I wasn't the only one that noticed this.
While I was finishing up my last batch of jam (I put up 2 dozen jars of jam yesterday! That should get us through the winter, I would think.) and R.C. was working on some homework, we allowed the boys to watch 20 minutes of TV before bed. As the TV turn off time was nearing, I called into the living room and told them, "when the next commercial comes on we turn it off and get to bed." I immediately paused and thought to myself, "boy, I sound JUST like my mom!" No sooner had that thought left my head when R.C. piped up, "You know you sound just like my mom." I guess R.C. and I had both heard this phrase at some point during our childhood. There is no hiding it any longer. I am a typical mother just like both our mothers. They too were typical mothers just like their mothers, who were typical mothers like their mothers...and so on it goes.
3 comments:
The kids aren't my own, but even at school I hear myself saying things my mom used to say.
"Thank you for saying 'thank you'" is my favorite at this point.
And, to tell you the truth, there's no one I'd rather resemble in motherhood than my own mom. She did an excellent job with me- obviously...look at me!!!- and I can only hope to do such a wonderful job with my own kids someday.
I agree with almost all you said. But, "trying to make cranky children happy"? That would be true IF you ever had any cranky children. However, you are one of the extremely lucky ones - I am sure none of your three "children" are EVER cranky!
Now, the question is, do you know (or remember)the next step? You place your body in front of the screen and say, "Look me in the eyes. The TV/video goes off_____. Do you understand?" Then you wait for a reply and stay put an additional 30 seconds for emphasis.
Post a Comment