Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I used to be young. I mean really young. Between the age of 3 and 6. I also used to take naps. Well, I liked to pretend to take naps. During this pretend nap time my mom liked to sneak a Pepsi. She thought we were sleeping. We weren't. We heard the popping of the can and would inch our way out the door, begging for just a taste. We loved it!! (But my mom always drank caffeine free Pepsi. I don't know how she did it, I need all the energy help I can get and I only have 2 kids. She had 3.)

Fast forward to today. I am the non-napping mother of 2 young boys. I require the boys to take a rest time, even though they don't usually nap (i.e. I need time to breath during the day). Today as the quiet filled our apartment I decided to get an ice cold Pepsi from the fridge (real Pepsi. Not even diet or caffeine free. Sorry mom.). I popped it open and began to pour it into a glass when I see 2 little eyes peaking around the doorway. Maxwell was standing there watching me. In that one second, I was filled with memories of my childhood and the delicious taste of Pepsi when I was to be napping. I thought I would also give that memory to my child and he would remember it for years to come. I was all prepared to be a really "cool mom" and give him a sip of goodness. (Even though I am the limited sugar, no soda under the age of 10 kind of person. I can make exceptions now and then.)

Maxwell instead gave me a look of disgust. "You're going to drink that stuff?" was his question. He then went back to his room and told Russell, "mommy's drinking yucky drink." Man! Talk about feeling guilty! I guess I have to figure out a better way to be a "cool mom" in the eyes of a 2 year old. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had an almost identical relationship with Pepsi when I was little. Wierd.

Anonymous said...

I remember that as well! We would drink the whole can before she knew it was almost gone! Or did she just pretend she didn't know??? :)

Anonymous said...

when I was a boy, we didn't have soda pop. nope...when I was a boy we had to drink from the old pump hydrant. Pa would run the handle for us and the 12 of us would take turns with the tin ladel, sipping and trying to keep the water from dripping down our overalls, onto our dirty brown feet. yesir, that was back in '82. we didn't have carbonated beverages...unless we burped. that's about as close as we got to soda pop.